Friday, July 29, 2011

All eyes on me, please

I have been tempted--is this even the right word to use?--for 2 days to post my status on Facebook.  It isn't that I have seen something provocative that must be shared or had a thought that might benefit someone else.  It is in order to get attention.

I have pneumonia.  And there is something within me that wants everyone to know how miserable I am.

What on earth for?  Is it because David isn't giving me enough attention?  For goodness sake, he is cooking gourmet meals to keep me eating.  He takes my temperature often.  He brings me fresh ice water constantly.  And he holds me when I start to cry.  (Start to cry--I catch myself from this absorption in my own plight.)

This has made me ask questions.  Why do people post what they are cooking for dinner?  Or how good their workout was this morning?  Or has fast they ran a mile?  Or that she had to stop in the middle of her run to eliminate her bowels?  (My words, I just couldn't type the word she used to describe what she was doing.)

Katie and I had this discussion last week when I was visiting her.  We never did settle the question.

Is it narcissim that makes us want everyone to know what we are doing?  Or a need for empathy, or praise?  Or are we just undisciplined in our thinking and, therefore, our posting? 

I will keep thinking about this.  Maybe later when I feel better.  Did I mention that I have pneumonia?

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to hope that people are just proud of what they've done/are doing, and I think that's great... When you admit you're proud of who you are/are becoming. If you just post braggy things and pretend it's just another day in your perfect life, that's annoying.

    And about the bowels... That woman is worth a whole nother post.

    In pneumonia news, I am so sorry you are sick. And you should post that you're proud of yourself for not complaining when you so badly wanted to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kathryn - -

    Also, as is with blogging, I think it is about "sharing" and the true gift in sharing is the reminder that the world is not so small (and, in turn, that we are not so big). By example, I have had friends from high school reach out to me in response to my posts about Dylan that I never knew served in the Army - - their words and understanding have helped shrink the gaping world I find myself in as a new Army parent as much as they have Dylan's world as a Soldier and I have found solace in the cozier, more manageable, space created by the connection.

    Re: pneumonia - I hope, by now, you are fully recovered and as for other people's bowels, well...there are some "connections" not meant to be made.

    ReplyDelete


Grandmother and Granddaughter