Monday, July 11, 2011

Signs and rake-wrestling

 I know that if your palm itches, it means that money is coming your way.

I know that if your ear itches, it means someone is talking about you.

I know that if your nose itches, company will soon arrive at your house.

But what does it mean if your head itches?  I hope it means that a thought is sure to form.  With that promise, maybe it is safe to write something.

Well . . . nothing.  I guess that means there isn't any money coming, either.  I suppose that's the way it goes with signs. 

But wouldn't it be great if we saw signs that clearly told us the direction God wanted us to go?  I mean clearly.  Without the need for a pros and con sheet.  Without having to lie awake at night. 

I don't think God intended for it to be that easy.  He wants us to discern moral issues and wrestle with life.  Wrestle, like David did on Saturday.  With a snake.  David rake-wrestled him out of our garage, then gently took him back to the woods.  Appropriate.  Not easy, though.  If David had chosen not to wrestle, then we could have waited until the snake died to get into our cars. 

I am glad David wrestled the snake.  And I am glad that God allows me the freedom to wrestle through life without a magic wand leading me into the future.  And when I fail to wrestle well?  I think we can call that grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Grandmother and Granddaughter