Wednesday, June 1, 2011

 My pants are actually the latest fashion--Joe's Jeans knee length shorts.  I don't know what you call them--low rise, hip huggers, or muffin holders--but they are mostly comfortable.  My grandmother did not wear pants.  Ever. 

She spent a lot of time writing letters.  She used notepads.  Many, many notepads, because her letters were long and frequent, and she wrote a lot of people.   Her "Send" button was a postage stamp.

For a time she had a job as an elevator operator.  Elevators were controlled by levers rather than buttons, so a trained person would drive the elevator to the proper floor and stop at the right place for people to emerge.  I don't know how much training she had, but she definitely was replaced by technology.

How frightening it would be to become irrelevant.  Or useless.  Maybe that is why grandmothers that I know have smart phones, twitter accounts, and iPads.  And it is probably why I am wearing Joe's Jeans.  I just hope that hot pants don't come back in style.

1 comment:

  1. So true. I find myself wishing I wrote and received letters....the sentiments and communication are so different than email. Also--I do notice and appreciate your deliberateness in keeping up with whatever form of communication "catches" the most people. It ensures your presence in others' lives.

    ReplyDelete


Grandmother and Granddaughter